Install not working

Home Forums Premium WordPress Themes Seasonal Pro Install not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Shelly Callow
    Participant

Hello… I have installed my Seasonal Pro theme and 2 things happen: 1) the preview is a blank white screen and 2) if I activate it, I get the following message:

The http://www.drivenbycoffeeinspiredbywine.com page isn’t working

http://www.drivenbycoffeeinspiredbywine.com is currently unable to handle this request.
    HTTP ERROR 500

Please help! πŸ™

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

A server 500 error basically means something happened with your host server.
    When you installed Seasonal Pro, how did you install the theme?

Seems as though some other people have encountered this kind of error (although not with my themes)

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-is-currently-unable-to-handle-this-request?replies=34

Usually when something goes wonky, it’s usually a plugin. Did you install any plugins recently? Perhaps try disabling all plugins, then activate the theme and see what happens?

Shelly Callow
    Participant

Thank you for your quick reply. πŸ™‚
    I just started this site so I haven’t had very much activity – I did check and there was one plugin installed – Hello Dolly – I removed it…
    I read through all the comments on the link you provided but nothing helped…
    Issue still persists…
    Should I contact my host server support?

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

Before contacting your web host….let’s troubleshoot this first.

1. Did this 500 error only show up when you activated the Seasonal Pro theme?
    2. How did you install the theme…step by step details if you can?
    3. What happens if you delete the theme, then reinstall and activate it?

Shelly Callow
    Participant

1) Yes – everything works fine with the WordPress themes…

2) Downloaded the zip file to my computer… extracted the Seasonalpro zip file from the main zip… went to my site admin, appearance, themes… clicked on Add New then uploaded the seasonalpro zip file…

3) I have tried deleting and reinstalling a few times with the same issues – I even went back to your site and downloaded the zip again just in case I screwed something up the first time… LOL – I also tried installing through the cpanel (I followed the step-by-step instructions from WP)…

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

So this error only happens when you activate Seasonal Pro then?

I just installed the theme on my local test site without any issues…plus, so far in the last few days, 6 others purchased and installed the theme, but it seems as though you are the only one who is experiencing this issue. This tells me there might be/is something unique about your host server that is throwing this error.

I’m going to assume you already tried the free version of Seasonal, and that worked OK? If you have not used the free version, try installing it by searching the themes in your admin for “Seasonal”. Click install.

Shelly Callow
    Participant

I had not tried the free version… so I did… and it works fine!

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

hmmm…. that is odd because the pro and the free versions are almost identical (the free one is just a slimmed down version of the pro), but also the fact this is only happening to you.

Would it be OK if I logged into your admin and tried this myself? If so, use the Contact Me link in my site’s footer below to send me the link to your login, and a username, password. It’s best to do this before the site gets built up with content and other elements in case something goes wrong.

Quick question…what web host are you using?

Shelly Callow
    Participant

Bluehost

And just to confirm, you need the admin login info for WordPress?

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

the admin login for wordpress…but only if you are OK with me going in there.

Shelly Callow
    Participant

Info has been sent…

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

Yikes…OK, so you will need to go in and reverse what you did to get back to normal admin and reactivate the twenty fourteen theme. Sorry about that.

I cannot see why the Pro version would be doing this.
    Did you have Bluehost install WordPress for you with their instant installation?

I think what is needed here is to find out what the server logs show by contacting your web host support. Let them know something about this one theme is generating that error for you but it doesn’t do this for others who are using the theme; it seems to be unique to your setup somehow.

Shelly Callow
    Participant

I did have Bluehost install WordPress…

Thank you for your help! I will contact my web host support.
    I will let you know what the verdict is… LOL.

ShapedPixels
    Keymaster

I will be curious to hear what they find in the server logs (hopefully it will point to what is causing it).

[b]I’m wondering if it’s a permissions issue[/b].

Using a host’s auto install of WordPress is not really the best way of installing WordPress because this kind of feature (although I can understand convenience) causes a lot of problems for many.

Shelly Callow
    Participant

This is the response I got from my web host support:

I could see from the error log that the theme seasonalpro is causing the issue :

[13-Jun-2016 00:41:18] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home4/drivenb6/public_html/wp-content/themes/seasonalpro/inc/extras.php on line 209

[13-Jun-2016 00:41:36] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home4/drivenb6/public_html/wp-content/themes/seasonalpro/inc/extras.php on line 209

They gave me the link to check the error log and it was the same error every time…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.