Replacing Menu on Landing Page

Home Forums Premium WordPress Themes Seasonal Pro Replacing Menu on Landing Page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zigmund Reichenbach
    Participant

I want to remove the menu on the landing page of the website I’m operating.

What I’d to do is create a page with a plain white background and that have a set of images that once you click them, you are redirected to a page with their own unique sidebar menus.

What are the steps I need to take to make this happen?

Shaped Pixels
    Keymaster

You would need to create a custom page template for that to happen, and then create a new page and assign your new plain white background template to it. In the page content would be your images you want to link to wherever you need them to be.

You will want to refer to the WordPress documentation on creating a new template: [url=https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-section/page-template-files/page-templates/][b]Templates[/b][/url]

Now the really important part…if you are going to create a template, you should use a child theme so that your parent theme (Seasonal Pro) can still get updates without losing your custom changes. To read more about child themes, refer to this [url=https://www.shapedpixels.com/support/basic-theme-setup/create-a-child-theme-for-theme-modifications][b]Article[/b][/url]

Zigmund Reichenbach
    Participant

Does it matter which one I create first?

Shaped Pixels
    Keymaster

The Seasonal Pro theme package has a child theme already made for you, so you just need to install that (make sure the parent theme Seasonal Pro is installed first). Then from that point on with the child theme active, you can make all your custom changes in the child theme. Make sure the structure of your child theme maintains what the parent theme has. So for a custom page template, this would go in a folder called “page-templates”, just like the parent theme has.

Zigmund Reichenbach
    Participant

So I am correct in assuming I’d have to code the template myself. Is that right?

Or is there a place where I can copy and paste code from?

Shaped Pixels
    Keymaster

Correct…if you are making a new template. You can start off with using the existing “template-centered.php”. You can also refer to the WordPress site for custom templates:
    [url=http:// https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-section/page-template-files/page-templates/#creating-custom-page-templates-for-global-use%5DCustom Template[/url]

The hard part is going to be coding it because typically templates grabs the header.php and footer.php when they load up on the front of the site. Because you want a very plain page that is going to be very different from the theme, you need to add part of the header.php file in yours. In the theme’s template, you will see this:

[code]get_header(); ?>[/code]

Remove the [color=#ff0000]get_header();[/color] code part, then below that you add:

[code]
    <html class=”no-js”>

<meta charset="”>

<link rel="pingback" href="”>

<body itemscope=”itemscope” itemtype=”http://schema.org/WebPage”>%5B/code%5D

Then remove this…

[code][/code]

and replace it with….

[code][/code]

Everything in between will be whatever you are wanting to code into it for your layout, so this part will be up to you.

When you’ve created your custom template, then you can go into your admin, create a page, assign the custom template to your page, then if this is your front page, follow the Reading settings to select the front page to use that page.

Zigmund Reichenbach
    Participant

I did exactly that Andre and here’s what I get when I go to the home page:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘<' in /home/zreichenbach/public_html/wp-content/themes/seasonalpro-package-103/seasonalpro/page-home.php on line 12

I don't know what that means and what I'm supposed to do to fix that.

Shaped Pixels
    Keymaster

The first problem is that the “[color=#ff0000]seasonalpro-package-103[/color]” folder in your “themes” folder should not be there. When you first download the theme, you extract the zip file named “[b]seasonalpro-package-103[/b]” to your desktop and then inside that is the actual theme that you install which is the file [color=#ff0000]seasonalpro.zip[/color]

…then, if you are using a child theme, you would install the premade child theme that comes with the download package, and install that just like the Seasonal Pro theme. To use the child theme, you will want to make sure the parent theme (Seasonal Pro) is already installed, but it doesn’t have to be active, but your child theme should be once you install it.

The second part….is “page-home.php” your custom template?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.