Although this theme uses the popular Font Awesome icon set, you can use a plugin for more flexibility. This theme lets you disable Font Awesome that is already included if you want to use the plugin method. If you decide to use a plugin, I recommend Better Font Awesome.
NOTE This theme only uses Font Awesome for the social icons, but if you want to use an icon generator off the editor, you will need a plugin.
Using the Plugin Method
If you already have font awesome plugin installed, you can skip this step unless you decide to change to Better Font Awesome.
- Go to Plugins >> Add New
- Search for Better Font Awesome and then you should see this:
- Click Install and activate it
- When activated and if you open a page in the editor, you will see an icon generator is added to the editor:
- Add an icon by clicking on the “Insert Icon” button to open a popup selector. You can either scroll down or use the filter by typing in a keyword for the icon you want. Once found, click on the icon to insert it:
- When you insert an icon, it will insert it as a shortcode
[icon name="apple" class="" unprefixed_class=""]
Disable the Theme’s Built-in Font Awesome
- Go to Appearance >> Customize >> Site Options
- Look for the “Load Font Awesome” setting and uncheck the box.
- Click “Save & Publish“